Sunday, November 28, 2010
Saturday, October 2, 2010
Next, I gathered the skirt as much as I could. It was so thick I was worried the my sewing machine wouldn't go through all the layers of the skirt and bodice. Attaching the skirt and bodice was easier than I thought--my little sewing machine is amazing! It's a Kenmore from JCPenney and it cost less than 100 bucks.
I was so excited because now it actually looked like a dress! The only thing left to do was finishing a few details. I added the shoulder rolls and the buttons to the sleeves. I ordered a hoop skirt from MyGowns.com to complete the look. Once I could try it on with the hoop skirt, I hemmed the burgandy underskirt and the dress.
I completed my look with a large ivory cross on a gold chain, which my grandma gave me years ago. I decided to go with the frizzed look with my hair. The night before I separated the front section and made about 15 pin curls. In the morning, my hair looked really crazy when I took out the bobby pins. I patted the curls down and pinned them in place.
For the back of my hair, I decided to make a caul or a "muffin cap" in the same blue fabric as the dress. This type of headpiece can be made out of basic cotton or linen for a peasant costume and silks or brocade for a noble woman's dress. I found instructions online, which said to cut out a circle about 16 inches in diameter and a strip of fabric 3 inches wide for the band. I gathered the circle all the way around and then attached the band.
Everyone loved my dress! I received so many compliments from people of all ages. My favorite moment was when a little girl who was about 4 years old came up to me and curtsied. I asked her what her name was and she said, "Belle." She was so cute!
I can't wait to wear it again on Halloween!
Monday, August 23, 2010
Now, it's not going to look anything like this picture, because I picked out a different color scheme--navy blue, gold, and burgandy. I started buying the fabric in January or February and have been working away on it since then. I plan on wearing it for Halloween and the Maryland Renaissance Festival this fall. This dress is my second attempt at a very complicated historical dress--two years ago I made a Marie Antoinette costume.
You can also see the grommets that I put in to lace up the dress in the back. It was my first time putting in grommets! It was really easy to do, just a couple of practice runs and I was a pro!
Although it might seem strange to have sleeves made of a different fabric from the rest of the dress, many wealthy women in the Elizabethan era had interchangeable sleeves for their outfits. The sleeves were separate from the bodice and had grommets so they could be tied together.
The shoulder roll is going to act as a transition between the colors on the sleeve and bodice. I am also going to attach some burgandy trim to cover up the seams.
I still have a lot more to do, but hopefully it will go fast now that I have all the pieces assembled!
Monday, July 5, 2010
USA! USA! USA!
Friday, July 2, 2010
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
In the last class, we learned how to make the official Wilton Rose (among some other things). I made seven roses to put on top of the cake. To make the center rose sit a little higher than the rest, I piped a large circle of frosting in the middle of the cake to form a base. This base also made it so the roses around the edge would tilt slightly. After placing all the flowers, I filled in the holes with green leaves. I made a shell border around the base using tip #21 and put green and white dots all over using tip #3.