Monday, March 19, 2012

Just a Little Light Yard Work


Yes, you counted right. That's 11 bags, 2 trashcans, and 5 bundles of sticks!

This weekend Alan and I decided to try and tackle the wild jungle that is our backyard. I couldn't wait to rip out the nearly dead bushes and out of control vines! You can see how it looked last summer in this post.

First Alan ripped out everything around the compost bin and he was even able to move it back a few feet. 


Then we cleared out the middle section. I left a small clump of bushes in the middle...for now.
 We'll see how it looks once all the leaves come in.


Then finally we moved up the hill and tore up everything in sight!  



Some of the plants put up a good fight, but in the end we prevailed! 

There's another big yard project planned for next weekend, so stay tuned. 
Hopefully our backs will be healed by then!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pinterest Challenge: Yarn Wreath

It's time for another Pinterest Challenge! 

Sherri from Young House Love issued a Pinterest Challenge last week to make something based on an inspirational picture found on Pinterest (my new favorite website!)

I have been eyeing a bunch of yarn wreaths for awhile now, so I thought it would be a fun project. Here is a picture of one that I really liked, which you can buy on Etsy for $30. 


I also fell in love with these felt flowers. I played around with all different types of flowers, but found these instructions to be the easiest to follow.


Here is a picture of my materials. I couldn't find a foam wreath, so instead I used one made of straw. I left on the plastic packaging, so it was pretty smooth. I also bought cream colored yarn, a few sheets of felt, and some creamy metallic berries. I think I spent less than $15 for everything.
 

I ended up only using the purple and gray felt to make the flowers. They were so easy to make! I cut a strip of felt about 2 inches wide, then folded it in half and used a bit of hot glue along one edge to stick it together. Then I made little cuts along the folded edge. I started rolling the felt at one end and adding a dab of glue every now and then to keep it together.


Here is the finished wreath!



I can't wait to hang it up on our front door!