Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Civil War Dress: Part 1

This past week I started working on my Halloween costume for this year, Scarlett O'Hara's curtain dress! It's a Gone with the Wind theme this year, and Alan will be wearing a confederate soldier's uniform.

My dress will be made out of hunter green taffeta and will have some gold tassels and cords. I couldn't find a civil war pattern that I liked, so I am improvising. To make the skirt I used the same pattern as my Elizabethan dress.

After cutting out the pieces (7 total) I sewed them all together and gathered the waist. I was so excited when I tried it on my dressform with the hoop skirt underneath! I looped some gold cord around the waist and hung a large gold tassel from the cord.

Now I have to make the bodice, which is going to be more interesting since I don't have a pattern to follow. I'm up to the challenge!



No comments:

Post a Comment